Saturday, November 14, 2009

Korg Wavedrum - Part I


I just received the Korg Wavedrum. I haven't had time to sit down and record any sound samples, but I did photograph the unpacking.

I will post a more detailed review in the next few days. For now I can say:

  • The unit is very well built. The rim is metal.
  • Unlike other electronic drums the head is an actual drum head (not mesh or rubber)
  • Because it's a drum head this drum is noisy.
  • Loading presets is slow. I imagine this is because of the DSP processing, but will need to investigate further.
This device can do a lot. The instruction manual is deceptively thin, but contains lots of information.





Not much to see here. Nice to see Korg hasn't updated it's packaging from the 90s.



The drum is packed well and easy to get out.



Comes with an instruction manual, Tuning key, and allen key which is used to adjust the sensor (more on that in Part II). Comes with a standard 9v wall wart power supply with what appears to be a
9ft cord.



Here is the bottom of the unit which is plastic. The rectangular cut out is where you adjust the sensor.



A closer look....



Here it is placed on top of a Roland SPD20.



Here it is relative to a Roland PD105, and PD85 pads.



The Wavedrum is a little more then 13 inches wide so any snare stand should hold it. One thing to note is that all the connections are in the 12 o'clock position, this is also where you would normally have your snare drum brace. You will need to work around this.



Here is the size relative to a 7yo. You could hold this on your lap and play it. I'll show this in part 2.



And finally with the rest of the family. Stay tuned for part 2.

1 comment:

Chris said...

How do you know how much to tighten tune the head? I have some wrinkles in my drumhead and I believe I already have it pretty damn tight.